Preliminary Proposals for Shaffer Grant Consideration are accepted annually from 12:00 am June 1 to 12:00 pm July 15 Pacific Time.
Grant applicants must possess a graduate degree, not have received a Shaffer Grant within the prior three years, and agree to acknowledge Glaucoma Research Foundation in papers and abstracts resulting from Glaucoma Research Foundation funded research.
When completing your application, please keep our strategic research goals in mind.
Strategic Research Goals
- Protect and restore the optic nerve.
- Accurately detect glaucoma and monitor its progress.
- Provide better understanding and treatment for congenital/juvenile glaucoma.
- Find the genes responsible for glaucoma.
- Understand the intraocular pressure system and develop better treatments.
- Determine the risk factors for glaucoma damage using systematic outcomes data.
- Involve people with glaucoma in the design, implementation, and evaluation of programs.
- Encourage collaboration among experts in many fields of study.
- Communicate research goals and results to the scientific community and the public.
- Ensure that new glaucoma treatments maintain or improve individuals’ quality of life.
- Encourage innovative clinical trial studies and laboratory research.
- Develop cell and animal models of glaucoma to support research studies.
- Facilitate and support the development of physician-scientists to advance glaucoma research.
- Equipment exceeding $12,000 (waivers may be granted on a case-by-case basis)
- Salaries for principal investigators and co-investigators
- Projects with overt commercial applications
- General lab supplies used for daily purposes such as swabs, gloves, etc.
- Indirect costs, including overhead
To submit an application, please login or register for an account.